I found this by 'accident' and want to use it. But what is the minimum requirements for Windows. I can't find it. Or did i miss it?
QasarBeach CMI IIz
A downloadable tool for Windows, macOS, and Linux
This is a complete recreation of the Fairlight CMI IIx.
This has all the features of the original Fairlight CMI including 16 stereo voices, full voice editing and realtime control, harmonic additive synthesis, full Page R sequencer and much more.
Launched 1 year ago the 1.29g is the biggest update. which focusses on much better IIx import of voices, songs and instruments. Better III multisample .vc support. III style button bar and lots of UI improvements throughout. A new internal song system that matches the IIx, plus individual output mixing. New Midi keyboard allocation with PAGE 3, and soo much more...
QasarBeach has also gained features that were planned for the IIx but not implemented (at the time) - many thanks for help and input from the original engineers and friends!
Here are some live video captures of QasarBeach with no overdubs or added effects:
And another featuring live playing to a drone background
And... Made famous by Kate Bush. here is a QasarBeach take on her:
And for some classic 80's dance culture why not try:
Here is a quick look at harmonic additive synthesis in realtime:
You get full file support for Fairlight Series I, II, IIx, III samples, including all loop points, filter settings, etc, plus new III multisample support. You just need to have the ORIGINAL files in .VC format.
IIx files .rs and .in are also suported
Plus you get the following formats as pure samples, so editing may be needed, but it gives you the power to access virtually all famous sample libraries from Emu, Yamaha, Korg and more:
- .wav / .aif .ogg / .sam
- .afs - casio cz1 sample
- .ksf -korg-sample-file oasis
.msmpl_bank -korg microsampler bank
.p3k - korg
- .usr - ppg
.ufs - ppg
- .xoe, .x0v .x0a .x0s .x0w .x3v .x3a .x3s .x3w - yamaha motif
.t01 .t02 .t03 .t04 .t05 - yamaha
- .krz .kr1 .kr2 .kr3 .kr4 .kr5 .kr6 -kerzweil
- .sf2 -soundfont2
- .akai .img - akai img
- .256 -amiga 8bit single waveforms
.xi -amiga fasttracker 2
.8svx .16sv .iff - amiga 8 bit / 16bit
- .em2 .eb2 .ez2 .e4b -emulator emax 2 library
.ebl -emulator x
.em1 .eb1 -emulator 1
.iso -emulator iso
- .out .s50 .w30 -roland s50
- .bin - 8 bit binary files used by LINN and EMU for drum machine ROM
You will need to download all three files, especially the Guide which will tell you all about the very basic operations of QasarBeach.
The Fairlight CMI was a professional and complex machine, QasarBeach in no way tries to obscure this operation. So the UI is the same, the operation is the same, but there have been additions to make it a bit more user friendly.
There are four files:
QasarBeach.App: is the latest MacOS version
QasarBeachWIn: is the latest Windows version
QasarBeach.Tar: is the latest Linux version
Guide is the comprehensive PDF guide (shown on the right)
QasarBeach is the demo folder including demo and library files
Cookbook is a new PDF guide giving hints and recipes for getting more out of QasarBeach
Because Ver 1.29 is such a large release with many fixes and additions I have removed the previous update lists
Ver1.32 macos beta
Ver1.31 Update (3 May 2021)
- PAGE 8 removed timer when external sampling
- internal synth fixing for external calling support
- PAGE R - when record is armed the pattern is internally created
- PAGE R - pattern. fixed patternplay (stop) crash
- PAGE R - song. when adding patterns. if the pattern doesn't exist it is created
- PAGE R - metronome button added
- PAGE R - song. metronome now plays in song mode
- PAGE 2 - when a voice is loaded. The current voice changes to the loaded one
- core synth initial pitch creation added
- PAGE S - setting. added series3 option - this will show advanced series 3 pages like disk when available. it uses higher res...
- PAGE 2 - added PAGE D and PAGE E buttons
- PAGE D - added PAGE E button
- experimental upped the internal screen res to series 3 - no apparent visible changes yet
- PAGE 2 - Mode 0 voice sets playback for other preview voices no longer remains. it is correctly erased \o/
- PAGE 2 - fixed prev page crash
- PAGE 2 - initial vIII page created
- messagebox system being added so that QB can report important things back to you. This has a Series III style to it
- PAGE 2 - now .sy and .in report loaded size
- PAGE 2 - all files now report file size - great for seeing .sy sizes
- PAGE T - added original reverb settings for more effects ;)
- PAGE T - added original echo settings for more effects
- PAGE T - corrected quick help text for all settings
- PAGE 2 - direct PAGE R button added
- PAGE 2 - corrected save help text
- PAGE 2 - question box when saving duplicate name
- internal save stucture modified
- PAGE 2 - additional file bounds checks to prevent crash when moving through large amounts of files
- PAGE 2 - CMI view mode now highlights directly cmi related files .rs/.sy/.in/.co
- PAGE 2 - keyboard and midi icon in correct position with series III version page
Ver1.29g Update (23 December 2020)
- reading IIx .RS, tempo now correctly set
- Reading IIx .RS, song block repeat now correctly set
- Reading IIx .RS, note data being correctly read in
- Reading IIx .RS, velocity data being correctly read in
- PAGE R used patterns display was off by 1 - fixed
- internal audio data is now extended to support IIx imports better
- Reading IIx .VC with embedded .CO data better reading compatibility
- Reading IIx .IN will also load embedded .CO from linked .VC
- PAGE R - song, when over sections the mouse wheel will move up/down
- PAGE 2 IIx mode1 dur and vol now being read correctly
- PAGE 2 IIx mode1 being read from loaded .in correctly
- PAGE 3 correctly draws nphony data (not hides it)
- harmonic profiles are now per voice not global
- PAGE 4 SMO and ROU additions removed as they were destructive
- IIx mode1 harmonics now loaded - caveat loaded mode 1 harmonic faders may NOT match. Where they do, they produce the same sound - more or less
- Harmonic faders correctly saved and loaded with QB .vc
- increased internal harmonic compute to better match IIx MODE1
- PAGE 2 IIx MODE1 faders being correctly read with .in load
- PAGE R - Song section and block playback currently removed for recoding
- PAGE 2 ios app .vcx basic support added - trim and loop data not being read - you will need to edit them
- PAGE 2 ios app .in basic .vcx loading support added. It will not automatically load long filenames!
- PAGE 7 Removed automatic ctrl and switch functions. new IIx import can be tagged to ctrls with volume
- PAGE 7 Ctrls and Switches (Shown bottom right UI) can be controlled by hovering over them and using the mouse wheel
- PAGE F Ctrls can be controlled by hovering and using the mouse wheel
- PAGE R - song SBP added. song block position
- PAGE R clicking song block '-' does NOT alster the song position
- PAGE R Completely new internal song structure code being developed to bring in line with IIx and future plans
- PAGE R - song. better keyboard arrow keys allowing movement from song block to section and better movement left/right :)
- PAGE R - song. Pressing 'enter' will activate the commandline with the corresponding section input command (same as clicking with the mouse)
- PAGE R - pattern. playhead moves to EXACT (quantized) position when clicked in pattern
- PAGE R - pattern. pattern now has live quantized cursor
- PAGE R - pattern. bottom info now gives note data under the cursor
- PAGE R - pattern. when clicking a note, it will now play and stop when mouse is released \o/
- PAGE F fatal crash fix if clicked to far on the right
- IIx .RS import minor correction to prevent repeats over 127
- PAGE R - song. bottom right song/position block now shows correct information
- PAGE R - song/section playback starts at position 0 in the pattern
- PAGE R - song. Both block and section now have a visual frame that shows the current cursor position
- PAGE R - song. Reverse rect to show the starting position for song or section play
'modified icon to bring into line with BigSur
- 'PAGE R - pattern. adding stop note now works at current cursor playhead
- PAGE R - pattern. using delete/backspace at cursor will now remove note off (hat)
- Infoline (at bottom) now shows the current note being entered via keyboard or midi
- internal Fairlight III .vc preliminary support for keymaps added
- PAGE 2 now shows mode 5 subvoice count with Series III samples
- PAGE 2 now imports III multisample keymaps
- PAGE 2 now auto creates multisample subvoices (MODE 5)
- internal octave range extended by 2 giving full 9 octaves to play with
- PAGE 7 - MODE 5 subvoice view. piano output now has options to change shown start octave
- PAGE 2 - 'FINE' start modifications for multisamples added
- PAGE 7 - mutilsample info text tidied up
- PAGE 2 - added mode 1 vol table reset
- windows recompile to clear up some issues
- fix to volume 'OVERLOAD'
- PAGE W shows playhead in most playback MODES :)
- debug PAGE Z added (shift+1) - this shows midi devices and midi settings fr debug purposes
- potential MIDI forgets fix
- PAGE 7 - Removed Delay, delay in, delay out
- further midi tweaks
- PAGE 7 - MODE 5 multiview now shows which multipart is active (similar to Series III)
- III multisample loading shortenslength of each sample by 1 segment to prevent end/start overruns
- Extended internal page size to accommodate III style buttons
- Series III style buttons being added to UI
- PAGE P becomes PAGE V
- initial page buttons integrated
- PAGE K - keyboard, is now merged into PAGE S settings
- PAGE 2 - now has button bar
- PAGE S - there is now an option for hiding the button bar
- button bar now has function keys as keyboard controls
- "V-" command added - will goto the previous voice
- "V+" or "V=" command added - will goto the next voice
- bug fixes to loaded .sy files
- additional commands added to allow new buttons
- PAGE R -song REW goes to the start of a section
- shift + function keys now operational
- PAGE R - song, buttons now added
- PAGE R - Pattern, buttons added
- PAGE F - additional button controls added
- QB no longer 'forgets' screen/size/position settings when updated
- decreased thread pause - maybe it will help reording?
- PAGE 7 adding LFO mid support <- vibrato can be set up by using this with LFO1 LEVEL
- internal support for LFO mid complete
- PAGE 7 added LFO LEVEL. this controls how strong the LFO is. it goes to the LFO MID when at 1. normal LFO at 128
- patch with a function to pitchbend for vibrato
- Internal loading and saving updates to add the new LFO functions
- Added more keyboard up note cutoff protection
- PAGE 3 - repeated clicking will toggle between nphony and keyboard sub pages
- PAGE 3 - keyboard allocation page created (MIDI mapping) - similar to how the III does it
- button bar. when P pages is pressed, you can select all buttons even if the keyboard is set for music :)
- PAGE R - current voice now always shows the reverse quantize steps (previously it only showed when recording) - this is the same as the IIx
- PAGE E - adding ZOOM to ui and buttons
- PAGE E - ability to zoom into and view highlighted segments added
- PAGE 4 - fixed fatal bug when drawing harmonics
- PAGE E - zoomed in editing/selection operational
- 'PAGE E - when zoomed and edited, view returns to normal (unzoomed)
- MODE 1 - fixed volume pulsing at end loop (segment 32)
- PAGE 2 - repeated pressing of 2 will swap between load and save pages
- PAGE R - pattern note deletion crash fix
- PAGE R - pattern - Mute information is now saved and loaded
- PAGE R - song being correctly reset on loading new song
- PAGE S - auto normalization on load added
- PAGE 2 - loaded sound are automatically normalized (if enabled in settings)
- PAGE E - added XFade button
- PAGE E - connected up all butons correctly
- PAGE R - new internals for fader linking (page o) being added
- PAGE R - song better copy paste insert functions
- PAGE R - song tighter keyboard paste at logical positions
QasarBeach is feature complete, but not completely documented. It is also being actively developed.
A HUGE thank you to all the testers and commenters. with your bug lists, wish lists and more :)
If you've ever wanted to have a go at your own music and want to know how The Art Of Noise, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, OMD, Yes, Hans Zimmer (and many many more) accomplished this in the 80's - QasarBeach is (almost) the way they did it!
Please feel free to add comments, thoughts, suggestions, etc. Nothing is out of bounds, so don't feel you might have a question that is odd, or strange bugs.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Qasarbeach 1.31 releasedMay 03, 2021
- QasarBeach 1.29g releasedDec 23, 2020
- QasarBeach 1.28 releasedOct 28, 2020
- QasarBeach 1.27 releasedOct 05, 2020
- QasarBeach 1.25 releaseJun 28, 2020
- QasarBeach V1.24 UpdateMay 30, 2020
- V1.23 releasedMay 23, 2020
- QasarBeach updated to Ver1.21Apr 26, 2020
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I had great fun trying this for an hour last night and had some interesting sounds going. It crashed at that point, which is a lesson to save more frequently, but I was wondering if there is a way, or some plans, to make it work with other software. Ideally I would be able to export wave files of the tracks all at once and load them into a DAW to be able to add more instruments and effects. I guess if I was Kate Bush I would have had the CMI with individual outputs and multiple tracks of tape to use too.
Check out PAGE 8 - sound sampling. You can sample the internal playing voices to a single voice and then save that as a wav ;)
Hi, Adam! I've recently updated QasarBeach, but when I go and turn it on, it won't open; says "QasarBeach has crashed unexpectedly". Only 2 apps have had this happen to me, and it was because apparently they were incompatible with my Mac. Does this mean that support for older Macs has been removed? (I use 10.9.4 for lots of reasons, mainly because we were told, in Full Sail, not to upgrade unless it's been made compatible with Pro Tools.) Thanks!
FRANCO FERRER-SAN MIGUEL
Hi Adam, feeling a bit nostalgic so I downloaded QasarBeach for a play. Well done mate! Exploration happening and waking up some old brain cells :-). I am so embarrassed here ... loading a "voice ".wav (see it everywhere) ... play it using the virtual keyboard, and for the life of me, I cannot get any type of audio/sound output of it on my Win 10 pro. What am I missing? Dooohhh ... Thanks and all the best.
go to PAGE 2 and then go to a folder with sounds in it.
These must be uncompressed
selecting a sound will load a preview of it and your should be able to play with the keyboard - this might need to be activated - check PAGE S settings :)
Hi again Adam, Thanks for your quick response! Well appreciated! Hmmm ... Seems all good. Issue is when I use/click on the "internal" virtual keyboard ... No sound. Page R ... with a quick "fill" works. I can hear it. I am also getting a Metronome audio output. I'm using my PC's internal High definition audio device. Screenshots .pdf here for you here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18vjBqrbXFpAUIf4i77VHmqjovMhrSXsy/view?usp=shari...
Is this a 64bit app?
Might try all of this on my MacBook Pro ... My PC is mostly for Admin and Tech. My Mac is for music ... w/ Midi keyboard. > P.S. THANKS for your support! Sent you some well deserved $ ... Nice work, All the best, Joe
Adam, I've recently come into possession of two functioning Muse Receptor 2+ Pro units. Any idea if this fantastic bit of stuff will run on the Muse platform?
hmmm. It's not something I've come across before. QB is general so give it a go and let me know how you get on?
Excellent job! Has been the external source sampling issue already fixed in 1.31? Thank you.
currently it's the same as previous. but a new version is coming ;)
How do you install the 119 update files?
the current version is 1.29. you just download the one for your os (marked with 129g). there is no install ;)
Hi thanks a lot for a great tool and all the hard work you put into this.
Is there any way we can help with the linux midi? This project is IMO more ideal for linux machines/PI perhaps than it is for windows, just my opinion. I would be fine using wine, however I noticed that the midi also didn't work for me.
Is there any version I should be using to get midi working on linux/wine? Thanks!
linux midi are known, but not yet properly addressed. the base system being used is PortMidi. Exactly what is not functioning ?
I am not getting any results from the midi scanning. Thanks!
thanks for that. I'll see what can be done ;)
Thanks! I can give you any info you need. Maybe I'm missing some lib, I installed lib-portmidi0. I'm having a usb midi device plugged in before opening Qb, in terminal the output is:
processCommand: midi on midi on SendCommandAction: midi | on midi<>on<><> on..midi Midi scanning:1 Midi scanning:-1
Recently downloaded this, I love it! I've run into an issue with MIDI though - when I release a note after having triggered a new one, the sound will cut as if the 'note off' has been sent by the new note that was triggered. Interestingly this only happens with my MIDI keyboard. With keyboard emulation using my computer keyboard, this problem doesn't exist. I'd really appreciate some help, thanks!
mac, pc, linux?
Be aware that you are actually dealing with 16 mono voices. so you will get clipping of sounds.
To use multiple sound = polyphony, you need to
1. pick and sound and get it right (PAGE 7)
2. use PAGE 3 VOICE to allocate the voice to multiple channels
3. Use PAGE 3 KEYBOARD to remap midi inputs
Thanks for the quick response! I'm on PC. Enabling polyphony does alleviate the problem, however this bug is making it hard to play mono voices. Let's say I just wanted to play a C then a D. I'll usually release C a few milliseconds after keying D, resulting in the note being cut off even though I'm still holding the D key down, resulting in a blip of sound. I have to make sure either the C key is fully released before pressing D, or hold down C for as long as I want the D to sound. Here's a video that will hopefully clarify. Thanks again! https://imgur.com/VnZ4FOu
PAGE 2 is just for previewing sounds from disk - it uses a slightly different sound setup. does the issue occur when you are NOT on PAGE 2?
I downloaded the 1.29g release weeks ago and everything was working really nicely until last night. The audio is now choppy on all loaded samples and Page R playback to the point of being unusable. I've rebooted the PC, disconnected and reconnected all audio and MIDI devices, but nothing has fixed. Any ideas? I was thinking of trying to download an earlier version of QB, but cannot find one.
If there's a fix for this, I'd really appreciate. I did donate, and have been absolutely loving using this wonderful old school system, especially given how much the Fairlight informed so many of my favourite albums in the 80s.
Have you installed any updates to windows, or changed anything on the system?
Not knowingly, but then everything does auto updates these days eh. Should I try rolling back to a restore point?
my advice (with windows system) is to get it all working and then try to keep in that state. You can always pop over to the facebook page and question the users to see if they have better suggestions ;)
Okay so, I made a song that sounds great (to me at least). I wanna bounce my song down to a .wav file. Is that possible?
If not, I'll just record to tape.
yep. PAGE 8 - sound sampling. you record from the INTERNAL.copy the result to a voice and then PAGE 2 save wa
ah..... so hypothetically, I could record my song on voices then use the other 8 voices to track out each instrument individually .... Thanks
yep, you can record and variation of voice you can think of - the added FX (reverb and echo) will also be recorded. You could do multiple versions and bounce to different spare tracks for other purposes too ;)
I can't sample properly from the external audio input. Recorded audio sounds choppy.
Playback of loaded samples or internally recorded sound works perfectly, though.
I am demoing the new 1.29g release, and the nphony seems to have been fixed- functioning properly, as reloading instruments I had saved seemed to go to monophony and get stuck there in 1.28. However there still seems to be an issue with using the Karma (arp) sequencing function on my Kronos as controller. I can use it to create sequences in QasarBeach, but I can't shut it off no matter what, and end up having to close QasarBeach to get it to disconnect. If I set it to MIDI in the Midi Control page, it gets sound but only in monophony, and then the nphony page doesn't work. I m using an HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC. Any thoughts?
hmmm that's an interesting one.
ok. lets try this:
1. Open QB, goto PAGE M (midi) and deselect everything then quit. the settings are saved on exit, so you have cleared them now
2. open QB goto PAGE M and select your midi stuff, with autostart and Midi on - so it will restart correctly. then quit. you now have new midi settings :)
3. QB does have an 'all notes off' command: PST or PSTOP. so when your Karma goes nuts. goto the command line enter PST and it should stop!
Let me know how you get on with this please - if it all works or doesn't :)
Nice work on this. I had some curiosity questions. For Linux do you use directly Alsa API or an higher API like openal (which would make it more portable) ? Thanks.
QB on Linux is a bit borked with the Midi not functioning - hence it is not up to date with the MacOS and Win version.
Internally it uses OpenAL and SDL2 with a custom sound-core sitting on top. The code base itself is virtually the same across all platforms ;)
Why did you remove the nphony? This makes the program virtually unusable for me. Are you planning on putting it back, or have you 'hidden' it in another location. I have looked around for it but was unable to find it.
Page 3, Voice
it was changed as this is where the IIx keeps it
any chance a raspberry pi version will appear? (thanks in advance)
I was thinking about this. A fairlight IIx, in theory should be fairly easily emulated by a Raspberry PI and given that Qasarbeach essentially recreates the Fairlight IIx's behaviour, it should be certainly possible.
installed V1.26 on 2 different PC's, one exclusively reserved for Qasarbeach only, no other apps or programs installed. On both, Midi Keyboard doesn't seem to work anymore and can't switch between voices in Page R. Probably my bad, but wanted to share it anyway.
check the new PAGE O: Output mix and reset the faders - they are the new live master volume. Let me know if this works for you :)
Hi, thanks for this amazing tool! Any chance of the Linux version catching up to the Windows and Mac ones when 1.26 is released properly? It's two releases behind at the moment.
I would like to thank you for bringing the Fairlight CMI experience to those of us who can only afford to keep the utilities going, the rent paid, and our families fed. Truly, I am grateful.
I've been lusting for a real CMI IIx, but was discouraged by its current selling price, which can be likened to an older home or a brand new car with a very basic feature package. I have tried a demo of Arturia's CMI software, but even then, having multiple workstations would require multiple licenses, let alone the excessive resource usage on even the most powerful computers; it really bogged down my quad-core laptop, to the point where it was literally unusable. On the iPhone and iPad, there are a couple CMI apps that are available for $10 and $50, but for years they've been riddled with bugs that the developer has yet to fix.
I'm very happy to have found QasarBeach; I'm surprised I haven't found it sooner.
thank you for the kind words. there is a facebook page where you can find others to provide more support and help :)
I have copied the files to the desktop on my HP Laptop, which is a few years old, and has a dual-core processor, running Windows 10 64-bit. The program opens fine, and all the functions appear to work, but when trying to save a sample made in the program to cv format, it mysteriously crashes the software. Also, I note that there is no 'quit' button. The Fairlight CMI had an OFF button, I'm assuming. Any plans to update w/ bug-fixes soon? I will attempt to run this again and see if I can save samples to other formats. This was a sample with loop points and polyphony enabled.
Re quit - just close the window :)
Please keep me informed if you can replicate a crash
I was able to save a looped sample in cv format, this time, so not sure what the issue was. Went out of the program and back in to check the cv file was still there, which it was. But the cv file apparently does not save polyphony and panning information. Is there going to be a fix for this in the future? Also one thing that would be VERY useful, is an 'undo' button for those of us who are a bit less technically gifted at programming code. My knowledge is pretty much limited to programming voices on hardware synths, particularly FM synthesis.
(it's .VC not CV). cmd+z will undo one step on most pages. polyphony is not part of a voice. a voice is a single voice. polyphony is many voices. save them as an instrument .IN. :)
My bad- I just started using the program and am not familiar with all the formats, or it could be that my old fat fingers don't type well on this little keyboard. VC not CV, got it. Thank you for making the distinction between an instrument and a single voice, that is very helpful. I will try that today and see if it works for me. There is an odd thing that the program does which is replicable, and that is when I go to add the voices to the slots 1-8, or A-H, it only brings the dialog up the first time I go into the screen. If I go out of the screen and back in to add more voices, I can't get the dialog to come up again. It says 'add', but no 1-8, A-H at the bottom of the screen. When I try to add another voice without that 1-8, A-H, it doesn't work. I end up having to quit the program and restart it to get that dialog back. Just letting you know. Thanks again!
I tried to install it on Windows10 64bit, but I can't install it even if I run qasarbeach.exe with administrator privileges. How do I install it on Windows 10?
it should run with no issues. The Facebook community may be able to help with this
Is it possible to say that the installation is completed with this operation?
In what folder is the program QasarBeach written, assuming the installation is complete?
QB is 64 bit, and requires openGL. Do you have security software that might be blocking it?
Windows 10 is 64bit. No software blocks the operation of Open GL. I stopped the antivirus software and tried to install it, but the result was the same.
Open GL is Ver.4.3.0 because of GPU. We cannot support newer versions. Is it related to Open GL Ver.?
Since the GPU has a built-in CPU, it cannot be replaced with a GPU because it is a tablet.
It shouldn't have to 'install' anything, as it runs out of the folder that the files are in- I have no problem running it on my laptop with Windows 10 64-bit, however trying to save a sample causes the software to crash.
I've kept you waiting for a long time.
It is a report because it started normally.
Since the user name was Kanji, I changed it to English and tried to start it, but the status did not change and it failed to start.
After a while, I deleted all unused users to solve the SSD capacity shortage, so when I started it today, both v1.25 and v1.26 started normally and are working.
I am looking at a IIx "in the flesh" in Sydney as I write this (I should really fire it up) and I have to say WELL DONE MATE!
Did some work a few years ago on CMI30A with library archiving, user interface, and reverse-engineering of Page R and various other CMI file formats, so I have some vague idea what you went through to make this. Again, well done!
Perhaps in the future, you'd like to work on reading and importing actual Page R (and other CMI) files. This was ~10 years ago, but I know a bit about the file formats if you're interested.
High praise indeed :)
If you are on Facebook there is a usergroup devoted to QasarBeach. I can be reached there.
Any help is always very (very) welcome :)
Did you work with Graeme Renaud on the CMI30a?
I had another job waiting, and I believe he showed up after I left so I didn't have much contact other than linkedin. I was around from the beginning until around the first NAMM showing or soon thereafter. Fond memories of supporting the thing remotely at the show, from Sydney, though!
keyboard scale function would be awesome too... dreaming of something like eleventh root of five :)
I'd love if it were possible to open Fairlight disk images directly in the future.
You just need to convert the image files with cmios9. That will allow you to directly transfer the IIx and III files to the desktop. From there you can access them :)
Please tell me I can get this working on the raspberry pi 4! I would really like the source code in order to build it myself. I'd for sure donate a good bit if I could have this running on the Pi.
currently no, but there is a pi version in the labs
This looks absolutely amazing - looking forward to trying it! I have briefly used the Series II but a Series III is my dream instrument and something that I've always wanted but could probably never afford or keep up with the maintenance costs (but if anyone has a spare one that they would like to send me, then I would happy to receive it and take good care of it!). One quick question that I'm not sure about about - can this be used as a plugin (AU or VST) in a DAW like Logic X or Live or is it purely standalone? If it is purely standalone, is there a easy(ish)way to route the audio or MIDI tracks into the DAW?
Sorry to sound rather new to all this but I have just got back into making music after a gap of about 25 years so I'm more familiar with hardware sequencers along with the Atari ST running Cubase ! and Hybrid Arts SMPTE Track so getting this Mac and leaning Logic & Live is a rather steep learning curve at the moment!
Thank you so much for developing this and good luck with the updates and future projects too.
PS - I'm sure that you're probably aware of this 30+ year old track but, with this software, I am in total agreement with the lyrics (especially the chorus!)
Brilliant find for the Shamen. I played the bugger out of this and haven't heard it in a while :)
QasarBeach is stand alone and wont integrate with outside DAWs or as a plugin.
Currently there isn't a way to sync or use MIDI to control it, but this is something I am now looking into. Particularly MIDI sync and potential control over MIDI. Let me know if there is anything you can think of that might help? :)
is there any kind of more sophisticated filter on the way? the present one looks more like shelving or something...
my dream is to use Behringer XR-18 as a multichannel interface (16 QasarBeach tracks to its mixer), on Linux. or maybe any other device to have all channels separately and mix them down in an analogue domain.
I'm unable to enter number commands (for example, p1) using the azerty Magic Keyboard of my iMac (on Catalina 10.15.5). The only number that can be entered is 8, by pressing... °
This keyboard (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLA22LL/A/magic-keyboard-us-english?fnode=e92...) does not have a dedicated keypad. Are only keyboard with a keypad supported ?
Thanks for your help.
Sorry about that. Currently QasarBeach only supports US/Qwerty layout. I can look into adding support for you. There is a virtual number pad though. Go To Page S (settings) and enable NUMPAD:ON
All number based entry can then be done onscreen :)
sometimes i hear nasty clicks in sound output, both on win and mac, is it a known problem?..
yes. I'm working on a fix :)
cool! can't wait :) btw, i'll probably get special pc for the QasarBeach, like in T M A 's great videos and my choice should be Linux i believe... can you make it work with ALSA directly, so i could use it without any Jack etc?..
I made a new video tutorial in german language
excellent work :) I really liked the use of MODE 2, and patching the controller in MODE 4
hi again ,found a glitch with filter in page 7, its behaving like a comb filter instead of a lowpass filter.
possibly. the filter is very primitive. I've not used any checking I did it all by listening to the results.
Hello Adam, about the problems some users reported in Qasarbeach crashing when setting LOOP CNTRL to "ON" on PAGE 7 ,and on PAGE E "SET LOOP" when viewing the start/end segment in(in "VIEW SEG: START END") i can confirm the following:
44100 hz 16 bit wav :
-start crashing in page E after setting loop point and when try to view the "END" segment with samples of +- 2 seconds (duration).
-crash at page 7 when set loop cntrl to "on" and pressing midi note ,and page E after setting loop point and when try to view the "END" segment with samples of +- 3 seconds (duration).
8000 hz 16 bit wav:
-start crashing in page E after setting loop point and when try to view the "END" segment with samples of +- 10 seconds (duration).
-crash at page 7 when set loop cntrl to "on" and pressing midi note ,and page E after setting loop point and when try to view the "END" segment with samples of +- 16 seconds (duration).
(i didn't test at 24 bit or other samplerates ,but im sure it will crash too since it seems to be related to sample size.)
windows 10, x64
I can confirm. I have the same issue with v 1.23
Btw I have access to a 2x.
I'd be happy to help with development, especially of the sound / characteristic side, my mail is in my name!
Hi Adam, takes me back to the days, when I was a CMI operator, its so close, stunned, keep up the good work.
QasarBeach crashed and closed with any wav 16bit and other file types file in Page E Waveform Edit if I set a loop and drop the start or end button. With original VC no problem . Windows 10 64bit
these are now on the list for immediate attention. I am very interested as the .vc files are fine and the .wav are causing an issue. I’ll report my finding and fixings 😢
I experienced this same problem with the latest 1.25 update, and the problem was caused when attempting to save it to vc format.
Under Windows 10 If I load a sample wav in page 2, go into page 7 and turn on loop cntrl, then play a key, the software crashes. I've tested it on two machines. There are some posts over in the facebook group with examples.
I am still unable to run this on linux mint. It is trying to scan midi ports for a fraction of a second but still not functioning. I think this must be something to do with my linux setup being different to yours. I'm running the latest 64bit linux mint. Not sure what other dependencies are needed. Also running in wine I am unable to reduce crackling any further. I think I may have to give up now
sorry to hear about the midi. I'm running linux as a virtual machine here, so testing has not been strictly on a linux machine.
Midi is still very primitive, it's the next item on my list :)
Thanks for the awesome update. I have donated for it a second time!
Short explanation of QasarBeach in German language only