Nice work on this. I had some curiosity questions. For Linux do you use directly Alsa API or an higher API like openal (which would make it more portable) ? Thanks.
QasarBeach CMI IIz
A downloadable tool for macOS and Linux
This is a complete recreation of the Fairlight CMI IIx.
This has all the features of the original Fairlight CMI including 16 stereo voices, full voice editing and realtime control, harmonic additive synthesis, full Page R sequencer and much more.
Here's some live video captures of QasarBeach with no overdubs or added effects:
And... Made famous by Kate Bush. here is a QasarBeach take on her:
And for some classic 80's dance culture why not try:
Here is a quick look at harmonic additive synthesis in realtime:
You get full file support for Fairlight Series I, II, IIx, III samples, including all loop points, filter settings, etc. You just need to have the ORIGINAL files in .VC format.
Plus you get the following formats as pure samples, so editing may be needed, but it gives you the power to access virtually all famous sample libraries from Emu, Yamaha, Korg and more:
- .wav / .aif .ogg / .sam
- .afs - casio cz1 sample
- .ksf -korg-sample-file oasis
.msmpl_bank -korg microsampler bank
.p3k - korg
- .usr - ppg
.ufs - ppg
- .xoe, .x0v .x0a .x0s .x0w .x3v .x3a .x3s .x3w - yamaha motif
.t01 .t02 .t03 .t04 .t05 - yamaha
- .krz .kr1 .kr2 .kr3 .kr4 .kr5 .kr6 -kerzweil
- .sf2 -soundfont2
- .akai .img - akai img
- .256 -amiga 8bit single waveforms
.xi -amiga fasttracker 2
.8svx .16sv .iff - amiga 8 bit / 16bit
- .em2 .eb2 .ez2 .e4b -emulator emax 2 library
.ebl -emulator x
.em1 .eb1 -emulator 1
.iso -emulator iso
- .out .s50 .w30 -roland s50
- .bin - 8 bit binary files used by LINN and EMU for drum machine ROM
You will need to download all three files, especially the Guide which will tell you all about the very basic operations of QasarBeach.
The Fairlight CMI was a professional and complex machine, QasarBeach in no way tries to obscure this operation. So the UI is the same, the operation is the same, but there have been additions to make it a bit more user friendly.
There are four files:
QasarBeach.App: is the latest MacOS version
QasarBeachWIn: is the latest Windows version
QasarBeach.Tar: is the latest Linux version
Guide is the comprehensive PDF guide (shown on the right)
QasarBeach is the demo folder including demo and library files
Cookbook is a new PDF guide giving hints and recipes for getting more out of QasarBeach
Because Ver 1.25 is such a large release with many fixes and additions I have removed the previous update lists
Ver1.28 Update (28October 2020)
Another smaller update with the focus on improving things with PAGE R
- minor playback change to prevent sounds from not being triggered
- PAGE 2 fix for sample playback preview
- PAGE 7/W left right cursor keys go +-8 to voice number
- internal checks to prevent initial audio engine cutout
- PAGE R song block section selection not being registered fixed
- PAGE R position and repeat not being registered fixed
- PAGE R selecting sections and playing never started correctly - fixed
- slightly increased internal timing systems
Ver 1.27 Update(4 October 2020)
This is a much smaller update with the focus on tidying things up and making things work more like the IIx did. So you wont find anything really new, just updates and fixes. You will also find this is an official release and not a soft launch.
- PAGE 2 if sound is playing and another page is selected is is swithched off
- PAGE E end segment not being visually shown - fixed
- PAGE 1 minor fix to short index entries
- PAGE 2 minor fix to short 'disk' entries
- PAGE R new pattern/note selection code
- PAGE R DELETE now removes a note if clicked if on
- PAGE R 16 view pan and volume now correctly update
- PAGE 2 disk text font is smaller and properly clips not messing up load/save text
- PAGE R last played/pressed note is remembered and used for FILL - this is the same as IIx was
- PAGE R better note on tracking to prevent audio engine stalling
- output mixer is reset on startup
- PAGE R strange 'time being reset' when in record fixed
- PAGE R keyboard registering fake notes when using arrow keys fixed?
- PAGE W added sample size
- PAGE 2 removed IIx from save options - code not complete
- added thread exit protection
- PAGE R added 'GOTO'. this is the same behaviour as 'insert'used ot have
- GOTO will go to the clicked pattern position
- INSERT will now insert the last note at the clicked pattern position
- DELETE will remove the note as the clicked pattern position
- PAGE O bottom voices now show current active voice
- PAGE O bottom voices are now click/selectable
Ver 1.26 Update (26 August 2020)
This is such a large release that I am going to soft launch it first (consider this finished, but there might be a bug or 2 - just let me know via the facebook page :) ). V1.25 will remain as a download until 1.25 is taken out of soft launch!
- minor change to midi counting
- PAGE D crash fix for A,32,8 display with long files
- new internal MIDI routine - old version had issues with many connections
- Threading re-enabled in windows
- New Icon
- inital internal setup for MODE 7: Grain synth
- MODE 7 variant graular synthesis added - wiked digital grain bassed synth! stonkin init?
- PAGE 3 becomes PAGE W
- PAGE 2 RESET VOICES correctly clears page 8 Nphony
- PAGE 8 becomes PAGE 3
- PAGE 3 (nphony) now has root and fine tuning added
- PAGE A (sampling) becomes PAGE 8
- PAGE 3 nphony correctly saved inside .IN file
- PAGE R added note off when using pattern ZERO command
- PAGE R minor change to metronome code
- PAGE 2 fixed PREVIEW MISSING WHEN SWITCHING PAGES
- PAGE R correct reading and setting of IIx tempo from .RS files
- PAGE R correct reading of IIx velocity data
- PAGE R correct reading of IIx note duration data - the IIx displays the WRONG notes!
- PAGE R correct section pattern play now being read
- PAGE R modify code to support playing of section referencing section
- PAGE R section repeat and return could be messed up or crashed if all 8 positions were filled. fixed
- PAGE 2 added IIx as a save option - not yet operational
- PAGE M added 'midi' as input option
- PAGE 3 Nphony becomes Keyboard control (as with IIX)
- PAGE 3 UI keyboard added and top block made to fit as with PAGE 2
- PAGE R shift+left goes to previous pattern
- PAGE R shift+right goes to next pattern
- PAGE R song mode. CTRL+V will paste the current copied pattern reference in block or sections :)
- ONGOING migration of old midi to new midi
- PAGE 2 load sy now clears previous voices
- PAGE 2 saving .vc now saves control data with it - this is the same as the IIx did
- PAGE 2 loading of new .vc format initial test look ok. users should see no obvious change :)
- PAGE 2 fix to fatal crash of original IIx import
- PAGE R creating new internal song structures
- PAGE R some unfound command bugs repaired
- PAGE 2 missing .in files text move on screen
- PAGE 2 save (from load) page bug fixed
- PAGE 2 favorites are now auto saved
- internal removed wiring controls from audio core - should speed the core slightly
- PAGE R clicking R could crash if on an ABC pattern and not a pattern number - fixed
- PAGE R testing new section referencing
- PAGE R section play position playhead to 0
- PAGE R pressing SPACE to play will not trigger noteoff
- PAGE R correct reading and resetting of song data with IIx .RS right
- PAGE R song page now has playing pattern and playhead data
- reactivated lfos
- PAGE S added metronome volume MV
- PAGE O OUTPUT inital work starting, outputs and input monitoring completed
- PAGE O finished!
- PAGE 1 output mix added to index
- Ongoing battles with Resistive screen on Windows - doubleclick then it works ;/
- PAGE 6 segement drawing area changes to allow for position 128 <- internal changes to drawing buffers
- Seperated ini data into data/midi/folders
- PAGE O/R current sections and blocks now shown in bottom right
- PAGE O mutes being added to voices controls
- internal reworking to support mutes
- PAGE O memories being added
- PAGE O UI faders and UI mutes checked and working
- internal fix for external float saving - metronome volume issues not being correctly saved
- PAGE O initial song/section tests checked and working
- PAGE O memory slots are correctly saved and loaded with settings
- PAGE O 'Reset' faders added to UI
- PAGE O/R selecting a section or song block correctly assigns the faders on PAGE O
- PAGE R song and section position now show output fader icon
Ver 1.25 Update (28 June 2020)
- PAGE S changing window sizes now shows title bar
- PAGE 2 fatal crash with missing .in files fixed
- PAGE E MIX command removed MI version
- PAGE E MIX command now operational
- PAGE E view current (playhead) segment added
- PAGE F improved the function display
- PAGE F fixed end of function bug that could return 0 instead of correct position
- PAGE 7 MODE moved into the top bar
- PAGE T new 'Pure fx' added
- PAGE T FX now have banks
- PAGE 3 added CMI CONVERT. this will take a sample and make it 16k. Which can be used with the ANALYSE command
- PAGE 4 ANALYSE help text minor change to add CMI 16k
- PAGE D now animates (draws waveforms) to screen 'internal loading routines now return success or not
- PAGE 2 now tells you if the file was loaded OK
- Minor audio activation tweaking to prevent audio stopping
- PAGE 3 REVERSE added - this will reverse the entire sample
- REV added to commands. with no parameters it reverses the entire sample as in the manual
- internal language port and recreation in preparation for threading
- initial move from event to threading to tackle timing
- PAGE 2 Info line now shows if a file has been properly loaded or not
- PAGE S logo images updated to match new animated logos
- PAGE I animated QasarBeach logo added and operational
- PAGE R initial metronome code
- PAGE R metron added to UI (metronome)
- PAGE R when in record mode, a new (empty) pattern will be automatically created for you
- PAGE R SONG section play incorrect position fix
- PAGE R PATTERN SHIFT+< SHIFT+> incorrectly triggered note off
- PAGE R 'S PLAY' added to UI so you can replicate the IIx play operation of playing the song instead of the pattern
- PAGE A initial external sampling routines being worked on
- PAGE A 'EXTERNAL" added to input source UI
- PAGE A 'External input now shown as live input into left/right input faders
- PAGE R dur now goes up to 99 (it was 96). 96 is the 4:4 time base, giving ability to stretch over a 4:4 bar
- internal microphone overload timing crash prevention being added
- PAGE R song play (when referencing sections) pattern correction when first started
- PAGE A SYNC only appears when using internal sound source
- PAGE R song. clicking the section will now enter the command
- PAGE R song. click an empty section and the command line will automatically fill with the pattern entry command
- PAGE R - tip - add empty patterns to a section. goto pattern, metron = on, record = on, S PLAY. you can now record as the section plays!
- PAGE R song. clicking the song block will now enter the command
- PAGE R song. click an empty song block and the command line will automatically fill with the block entry command
- when song is playing garbage collection is now turned off
- Added internal sound sampling protection
- PAGE 2 some loading bars added - they might not appear though
- PAGE 2 added some trapping for PPG t000.wav library files to prevent them from loading as wavetables
- PAGE 3 REDUCE memory protection added
- PAGE D end segment now displays correctly
- PAGE E start/end/curr segment buttons only appear if sample is 16k
- PAGE A gcSuspend() added
- revert back to previous language as Windows HATES the new one
- Faders are now 'Live' and will repond to keeping the mouse button pressed. E.G. you can draw on PAGE 5 'PAGE D added faux rotation to 3d view
- PAGE A external record time halved
- Potential memory error being looked at
- PAGE A Corrected Hertz
- PAGE 2 ctrl+return, shift+return, ctrl+up, shift+up will goto the previous folder (..)
- PAGE 3 potential REDUCE crash fix
- PAGE R voice ZERO now stops any playing voice
- PAGE S fullscreen removed in macos ctrl+cmd+f or just use maximize icon in window
- PAGE R voice ZERO leaves ghost data fixed
- PAGE R hidden voices not recording properly - fixed
- PAGE R quantize of recoring notes fixed
- PAGE 7 additional FINE added to MODE 5 subvoice display, allowing for fine srting of a sample
- Internal subvoiceFine data being added to core
- PAGE R metronome fixed for other timing than 4:4
- PAGE R note velocity 110 not shown fixed
- PAGE D start segment will now move with the playhead if 32 or 64 end segments are picked
- PAGE E repeated cut causes crash - fixed
- PAGE E repeated trim causes crash - fixed
- paste waveform crash - fixed
- internal sample buffer protection added
- added f argument. When run with f added to the filename it will start fullscreen
- PAGE E normalize has new code
- MODE 4 single shot loop (from segments 1 to 128) caused glitch/pop - fixed
- PAGE 3 compressed center text options
- PAGE 3 added QUAD COMBINE to options
- PAGE 7 MODE 6 added to UI
- Further internal crash protection found and added
- internal preparation for mode 6
- Ctrl+U / Ctrl+Z = waveform UNDO
- First version of Mode 6 mono and stereo base tested :)
- PAGE S added qasarbeach f help text
- PAGE S added German Keyboard z is y option
- internal systems now respond to german keyboard including settings
- PAGE 7 added live segment display to mode 6
QasarBeach is feature complete, but not completely documented. It is also being actively developed.
A HUGE thank you to all the testers and commenters. with you bug lists, wish lists and more :)
If you've ever wanted to have a go at your own music and want to know how The Art Of Noise, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, OMD, Yes, Hans Zimmer (and many many more) accomplished this in the 80's - QasarBeach is (almost) the way they did it!
Please feel free to add comments, thoughts, suggestions, etc. Nothing is out of bounds, so don't feel you might have a question that is odd, or strange bugs.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- QasarBeach 1.28 released26 days ago
- QasarBeach 1.27 released49 days ago
- QasarBeach 1.25 releaseJun 28, 2020
- QasarBeach V1.24 UpdateMay 30, 2020
- V1.23 releasedMay 23, 2020
- QasarBeach updated to Ver1.21Apr 26, 2020
- QasarBeach 1.20 releasedMar 09, 2020
- QasarBeach v119 documentationFeb 10, 2020
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
QB on Linux is a bit borked with the Midi not functioning - hence it is not up to date with the MacOS and Win version.
Internally it uses OpenAL and SDL2 with a custom sound-core sitting on top. The code base itself is virtually the same across all platforms ;)
Why did you remove the nphony? This makes the program virtually unusable for me. Are you planning on putting it back, or have you 'hidden' it in another location. I have looked around for it but was unable to find it.
Page 3, Voice
it was changed as this is where the IIx keeps it
any chance a raspberry pi version will appear? (thanks in advance)
installed V1.26 on 2 different PC's, one exclusively reserved for Qasarbeach only, no other apps or programs installed. On both, Midi Keyboard doesn't seem to work anymore and can't switch between voices in Page R. Probably my bad, but wanted to share it anyway.
check the new PAGE O: Output mix and reset the faders - they are the new live master volume. Let me know if this works for you :)
Hi, thanks for this amazing tool! Any chance of the Linux version catching up to the Windows and Mac ones when 1.26 is released properly? It's two releases behind at the moment.
I would like to thank you for bringing the Fairlight CMI experience to those of us who can only afford to keep the utilities going, the rent paid, and our families fed. Truly, I am grateful.
I've been lusting for a real CMI IIx, but was discouraged by its current selling price, which can be likened to an older home or a brand new car with a very basic feature package. I have tried a demo of Arturia's CMI software, but even then, having multiple workstations would require multiple licenses, let alone the excessive resource usage on even the most powerful computers; it really bogged down my quad-core laptop, to the point where it was literally unusable. On the iPhone and iPad, there are a couple CMI apps that are available for $10 and $50, but for years they've been riddled with bugs that the developer has yet to fix.
I'm very happy to have found QasarBeach; I'm surprised I haven't found it sooner.
thank you for the kind words. there is a facebook page where you can find others to provide more support and help :)
I have copied the files to the desktop on my HP Laptop, which is a few years old, and has a dual-core processor, running Windows 10 64-bit. The program opens fine, and all the functions appear to work, but when trying to save a sample made in the program to cv format, it mysteriously crashes the software. Also, I note that there is no 'quit' button. The Fairlight CMI had an OFF button, I'm assuming. Any plans to update w/ bug-fixes soon? I will attempt to run this again and see if I can save samples to other formats. This was a sample with loop points and polyphony enabled.
Re quit - just close the window :)
Please keep me informed if you can replicate a crash
I was able to save a looped sample in cv format, this time, so not sure what the issue was. Went out of the program and back in to check the cv file was still there, which it was. But the cv file apparently does not save polyphony and panning information. Is there going to be a fix for this in the future? Also one thing that would be VERY useful, is an 'undo' button for those of us who are a bit less technically gifted at programming code. My knowledge is pretty much limited to programming voices on hardware synths, particularly FM synthesis.
(it's .VC not CV). cmd+z will undo one step on most pages. polyphony is not part of a voice. a voice is a single voice. polyphony is many voices. save them as an instrument .IN. :)
My bad- I just started using the program and am not familiar with all the formats, or it could be that my old fat fingers don't type well on this little keyboard. VC not CV, got it. Thank you for making the distinction between an instrument and a single voice, that is very helpful. I will try that today and see if it works for me. There is an odd thing that the program does which is replicable, and that is when I go to add the voices to the slots 1-8, or A-H, it only brings the dialog up the first time I go into the screen. If I go out of the screen and back in to add more voices, I can't get the dialog to come up again. It says 'add', but no 1-8, A-H at the bottom of the screen. When I try to add another voice without that 1-8, A-H, it doesn't work. I end up having to quit the program and restart it to get that dialog back. Just letting you know. Thanks again!
I tried to install it on Windows10 64bit, but I can't install it even if I run qasarbeach.exe with administrator privileges. How do I install it on Windows 10?
it should run with no issues. The Facebook community may be able to help with this
Is it possible to say that the installation is completed with this operation?
In what folder is the program QasarBeach written, assuming the installation is complete?
QB is 64 bit, and requires openGL. Do you have security software that might be blocking it?
Windows 10 is 64bit. No software blocks the operation of Open GL. I stopped the antivirus software and tried to install it, but the result was the same.
Open GL is Ver.4.3.0 because of GPU. We cannot support newer versions. Is it related to Open GL Ver.?
Since the GPU has a built-in CPU, it cannot be replaced with a GPU because it is a tablet.
It shouldn't have to 'install' anything, as it runs out of the folder that the files are in- I have no problem running it on my laptop with Windows 10 64-bit, however trying to save a sample causes the software to crash.
I've kept you waiting for a long time.
It is a report because it started normally.
Since the user name was Kanji, I changed it to English and tried to start it, but the status did not change and it failed to start.
After a while, I deleted all unused users to solve the SSD capacity shortage, so when I started it today, both v1.25 and v1.26 started normally and are working.
I am looking at a IIx "in the flesh" in Sydney as I write this (I should really fire it up) and I have to say WELL DONE MATE!
Did some work a few years ago on CMI30A with library archiving, user interface, and reverse-engineering of Page R and various other CMI file formats, so I have some vague idea what you went through to make this. Again, well done!
Perhaps in the future, you'd like to work on reading and importing actual Page R (and other CMI) files. This was ~10 years ago, but I know a bit about the file formats if you're interested.
High praise indeed :)
If you are on Facebook there is a usergroup devoted to QasarBeach. I can be reached there.
Any help is always very (very) welcome :)
Did you work with Graeme Renaud on the CMI30a?
I had another job waiting, and I believe he showed up after I left so I didn't have much contact other than linkedin. I was around from the beginning until around the first NAMM showing or soon thereafter. Fond memories of supporting the thing remotely at the show, from Sydney, though!
drop a message to qasarbeach at the Facebook group. I’ll get immediately back to you \o/
keyboard scale function would be awesome too... dreaming of something like eleventh root of five :)
I'd love if it were possible to open Fairlight disk images directly in the future.
You just need to convert the image files with cmios9. That will allow you to directly transfer the IIx and III files to the desktop. From there you can access them :)
Please tell me I can get this working on the raspberry pi 4! I would really like the source code in order to build it myself. I'd for sure donate a good bit if I could have this running on the Pi.
currently no, but there is a pi version in the labs
This looks absolutely amazing - looking forward to trying it! I have briefly used the Series II but a Series III is my dream instrument and something that I've always wanted but could probably never afford or keep up with the maintenance costs (but if anyone has a spare one that they would like to send me, then I would happy to receive it and take good care of it!). One quick question that I'm not sure about about - can this be used as a plugin (AU or VST) in a DAW like Logic X or Live or is it purely standalone? If it is purely standalone, is there a easy(ish)way to route the audio or MIDI tracks into the DAW?
Sorry to sound rather new to all this but I have just got back into making music after a gap of about 25 years so I'm more familiar with hardware sequencers along with the Atari ST running Cubase ! and Hybrid Arts SMPTE Track so getting this Mac and leaning Logic & Live is a rather steep learning curve at the moment!
Thank you so much for developing this and good luck with the updates and future projects too.
PS - I'm sure that you're probably aware of this 30+ year old track but, with this software, I am in total agreement with the lyrics (especially the chorus!)
Brilliant find for the Shamen. I played the bugger out of this and haven't heard it in a while :)
QasarBeach is stand alone and wont integrate with outside DAWs or as a plugin.
Currently there isn't a way to sync or use MIDI to control it, but this is something I am now looking into. Particularly MIDI sync and potential control over MIDI. Let me know if there is anything you can think of that might help? :)
is there any kind of more sophisticated filter on the way? the present one looks more like shelving or something...
my dream is to use Behringer XR-18 as a multichannel interface (16 QasarBeach tracks to its mixer), on Linux. or maybe any other device to have all channels separately and mix them down in an analogue domain.
I'm unable to enter number commands (for example, p1) using the azerty Magic Keyboard of my iMac (on Catalina 10.15.5). The only number that can be entered is 8, by pressing... °
This keyboard (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLA22LL/A/magic-keyboard-us-english?fnode=e92...) does not have a dedicated keypad. Are only keyboard with a keypad supported ?
Thanks for your help.
Sorry about that. Currently QasarBeach only supports US/Qwerty layout. I can look into adding support for you. There is a virtual number pad though. Go To Page S (settings) and enable NUMPAD:ON
All number based entry can then be done onscreen :)
sometimes i hear nasty clicks in sound output, both on win and mac, is it a known problem?..
yes. I'm working on a fix :)
cool! can't wait :) btw, i'll probably get special pc for the QasarBeach, like in T M A 's great videos and my choice should be Linux i believe... can you make it work with ALSA directly, so i could use it without any Jack etc?..
I made a new video tutorial in german language
excellent work :) I really liked the use of MODE 2, and patching the controller in MODE 4
hi again ,found a glitch with filter in page 7, its behaving like a comb filter instead of a lowpass filter.
possibly. the filter is very primitive. I've not used any checking I did it all by listening to the results.
Hello Adam, about the problems some users reported in Qasarbeach crashing when setting LOOP CNTRL to "ON" on PAGE 7 ,and on PAGE E "SET LOOP" when viewing the start/end segment in(in "VIEW SEG: START END") i can confirm the following:
44100 hz 16 bit wav :
-start crashing in page E after setting loop point and when try to view the "END" segment with samples of +- 2 seconds (duration).
-crash at page 7 when set loop cntrl to "on" and pressing midi note ,and page E after setting loop point and when try to view the "END" segment with samples of +- 3 seconds (duration).
8000 hz 16 bit wav:
-start crashing in page E after setting loop point and when try to view the "END" segment with samples of +- 10 seconds (duration).
-crash at page 7 when set loop cntrl to "on" and pressing midi note ,and page E after setting loop point and when try to view the "END" segment with samples of +- 16 seconds (duration).
(i didn't test at 24 bit or other samplerates ,but im sure it will crash too since it seems to be related to sample size.)
windows 10, x64
I can confirm. I have the same issue with v 1.23
Btw I have access to a 2x.
I'd be happy to help with development, especially of the sound / characteristic side, my mail is in my name!
Hi Adam, takes me back to the days, when I was a CMI operator, its so close, stunned, keep up the good work.
QasarBeach crashed and closed with any wav 16bit and other file types file in Page E Waveform Edit if I set a loop and drop the start or end button. With original VC no problem . Windows 10 64bit
these are now on the list for immediate attention. I am very interested as the .vc files are fine and the .wav are causing an issue. I’ll report my finding and fixings 😢
I experienced this same problem with the latest 1.25 update, and the problem was caused when attempting to save it to vc format.
Under Windows 10 If I load a sample wav in page 2, go into page 7 and turn on loop cntrl, then play a key, the software crashes. I've tested it on two machines. There are some posts over in the facebook group with examples.
I am still unable to run this on linux mint. It is trying to scan midi ports for a fraction of a second but still not functioning. I think this must be something to do with my linux setup being different to yours. I'm running the latest 64bit linux mint. Not sure what other dependencies are needed. Also running in wine I am unable to reduce crackling any further. I think I may have to give up now
sorry to hear about the midi. I'm running linux as a virtual machine here, so testing has not been strictly on a linux machine.
Midi is still very primitive, it's the next item on my list :)
Thanks for the awesome update. I have donated for it a second time!
Short explanation of QasarBeach in German language only
I would love to be able to slave external midi gear from the Page R as well as sync the page R with an external midi-clock.
Is such feature in project pipeline too ? :)
I found Page U
What is it for? Could you please explain how it works?
Currently it's a hidden page as it's not ready for public use.
When finished it allows you to record operations and plat them back. E.G. record a set of changes to a waveform, and then repeat those operations on other waveforms, or PAGE R, etc
This is the best download I've made in a while. I've been WAITING for years to have an authentic Fairlight CMI IIx user experience and this truly gives that. Almost got a chance to jam on one but I blew it. I am going to try and see if I can use an iPad as a sidecar for my mac and get touch screen usability. A couple questions: any chance there could be a note priority/legato off setting when using an external keyboard? So when a new note is hit as another note is being held, it takes priority?
Also very glad to hear there may be the possibility of some multichannel audio (and maybe midi?) routing. At the moment, I know there is sync record within the sampling section, but could Midi Clock sync be an option? Would allow to sync to external hardware and sequencers, and a good way of bouncing out tracks from Page R individually and in sync. Anyway, thanks so much!
How do I run this on Linux?
Edit. I have installed 64bit linux mint and it now runs. However I am unable to use midi. The issue is that I cannot even enable midi within the program. Is this a bug or is the issue on my end? I click on the midi enable and nothing happens. If I click it too many times the program freezes up.
it's compiled on 64bit mint.
you will need opengl, openal and sdl2 installed as well :)
Thanks for that, however I still cant get midi working. You must have something on your system that I do not.
Midi is something that is still very primitive in QasarBeach. The next version will hopefully have better linux support :)
That's great. For now I have managed to get the windows version running in wine. There is a little latency and I still need to sort out some crackling in the audio but both of those are wine related issues and not specific to quasarbeach.
Any chance you could release the source code for this?
unfortunately not. The source itself isn't too big around 30,000 lines of code. but you would need the MX2 language which is also custom created plus the editor none of which are documented
I have a big issue with the Page R on v 1.21. The timing is sloppy and slows down to zero. No more workaround with. Can't play the cookbook songs anymore. If I start Page R with v 1.20 it works well (a little timing issue you've known) My system is Windows 10.
Is ASIO driver in the pipeline for the future?
Best regards and keep on sampling
I'll get this reverted back to the original timing for you and up a new release in a day or so :)
Wow, thanks for your fast reply.
Is there a way to add layering different voices to play simultaneously? Keyboard mapping to split the keyboard like multi sampling?
Sorry for asking so many questions
V1.22 upped with fix for PAGE R
Currently no, but the original IIx did have 'Keyboards" which would allow that sort of behaviour - I'll have a think over the manual :)
The community says thank you for updating QasarBeach. I always explore new things every day and I love all I found out. The community on our Facebook group will report all bugs, crashes or problems and suggestions to help you making the project great.
I have a problem with Velocity and Aftertouch. Can't get it work. Maybe it is my mistake? Tried it directly by routing to some parameters, tried it on function page but nothing happened. Keytime and keynumber are no problem. For example I route velocity to the volume on page 7 I see in the volume line on the right the value is always at the end of 128. The same with Aftertouch but the value is always 0! I tried it out with two different keyboards. Do you have any suggestion for me?
I would love to see ASIO compatibility with the option to use a sound card with 8 outputs, this would give some interesting routing possibilities, when it comes to tracking. [Like if you had a CMI Fairlight installed with more voice cards]
own samples in QasarBeach
That looks amazing. Thanks for sharing. I've installed Audacity also on my virtual Fairlight machine 😉
brilliant - It's how I currently get samples in QB myself. I use Amadeus On the Mac.
Here's something for you all to try. Take a sound - a vocal is a good start
goto Page 7 - the mode will be 4
change MODE: 3, AB MIX:50, B-TUNE:30
play with B-TUNE or link it to LFO 1
LFO 1 SPEED:8, SEGMENT A:LFO 1
A/B MIX: 46, B-TUNE:64
play around with SEGMENT B
Use the second with wavetables ;)
I found this screenshot in your manual. Unfortunatly if I use QasarBeach I didnˋt find Cross Fade or start and endpoint visual in any page like your screenshot. Maybe my mistake by myself?
nom you are right, this was just a visual explanation. I can add this into the app for you. it would be on Page 4 Waveform Edit
Thanks for creating this wonderful program. I bought and downloaded it. After that I have less time for other things then Qasarbeach. Fantastic to work with. I hope for more updates in the future. The community will grow.
thanks for the comments - lovely looking system you've got there with the keyboard. The only thing missing is a big white music keyboard with QasarBeach on the back. A new version (1.21) will be posted soon for you.
Thanks for your reply. Always a pleasure having direct contact to the developer. Are you working on the timing of the machine especially Page R? It is very sloppy. We did yesterday night a special "qasarbeach user video chat" for the first time on Jitsi Meet. 4 users compared their systems and helped each other to understand the workflow of the software. On my wishlist is a free configurable CC controller setting.
Some bugs were reported:
Timing, latency, crashes by using to many cc's (simultaneously PB and Volume fader), Page 2 issue while loading operation with a pen on a touchscreen.
I think, after last night, we will continue the video chat meetings in the future.
TMA / Torsten
Yes, the timing is a known issue. some work has already been done, but there is more work needed.
A lot of the midi stuff will be worked on next.
If you have any crash info (page you are on, what was happening), just let me know and I'll add it all to the todo lists, along with any other suggestions you can think of :)
I'll try my best to address all issues for you
All coming together now.
Removed question, I discovered midi cc's control the switches and controls.
I had to check the code for that - I thought i hadn't implemented it yet!!
It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what’s modulating the first two controls and switches, I thought they’re not accessible yet.
I can use pb and mod wheel, I haven’t discovered how the switches work, but if you’re not done yet I understand why.
Ok, I give up. How do you save a pattern or a song?
Well, that was a bit convoluted but I got it! I have to say learning the Fairlight is as frustrating as it is enjoyable, it's not intuitive. Nonetheless this is an amazing piece of work, I can't wait to see what's coming! Thanks!
I felt the same the firt time i used it ,i couldn't find how to save the files,but then i read the help file on page 2, aswell as the guide and the user manual of the original fairlight,things got much clearer ,in on or two days i was much confortble .For everyone who's reading this and having the same trouble ,you have to go to page 2 "Disk control ,in the top you can see load/save option ,choose save(this activates save mode) then choose your file (in the file section) ,then below ,you set the file name in the"NAME:" field,the command will appear ,so look to the top :D maximum characters is 8 like in the original...then choose the file type . sound files are saved as ".VC" (voice) ,instrument ".IN"(all voices and controls) ,".CO"(voice controls,) page R composer ".RS",and you can also save the entire system ".SY"(".VC" ,".CO", ".IN" ".RS")... i like to save 2 files ".IN" and ".RS" and when you want to load my project ,i load both files(page 2) since you need both the intruments and the page R sequence,everything like the original fairlight.
Thanks - the Fairlight has it's own way of doing things and I tried my best to replicate it. You can see why 'engineers' were highly sought after. You can also save wav files by using the 'wa' option.
Yes, I do know, I used a Synclavier from '89-'98 and the early days were painful. We're so spoiled using all these great apps and daws. I've been reading the original manuals for the IIX and they do help understand how the system works, and it is pretty basic.
My issue now is I'm not able to edit notes once they are in the pattern. I click on a note and get it's parameters in the left window, but any input I make is ignored. I've tried to change pitch, vel, panning to no avail. Is there something I'm missing?
Hello, found some problems,when loading 8-bit wavs it crashes Qasarbeach, 16 bit and 24 bit works fine.Also in page 2 the "bits" will always display 16 bit regardless if a select a 8 , or 24 bit wav.
can you give me a download to the samples that don't work? I'll debug them for you :)
sure ,here it is:
Hello ,i love qasarBeach ,i'm reading the user manual to learn more about the fairlight operations,today i was testing page 5 ,in the original there is a (fourier) "ANALIZE" command,that allows to reconstruct a sample by generating harmonics for the segments.Is this being worked on? Also on Page A , will it be possible to record michrophone or stereo mix? thank you so much !